Wednesday, September 16, 2026

About movies

The last thing that the web needs is another blog about movies, but that's OK.  I've always enjoyed movies, and I became a dedicated movie fan when I experienced the birth of the modern blockbuster firsthand when I was a teenager.  I still remember seeing STAR WARS for the first time in the theater in the Fall of 1977. That was an experience that changed my life.  

I started building my video library in the 1980s, mostly by recording movies off of broadcast television onto VHS tapes.  

Some movie collectors that have massive collections of 10,000-15,000 titles on physical media.  but that's not my style.  My collection usually fluctuates between 800-900 titles that I genuinely enjoy and will watch - that's the key to my collection.  I will watch all of these from time to time. Also, I review my collection periodically and remove titles that no longer appeal to me, as I add movies at the same time.  


Here's my collection - kids' titles are housed elsewhere.

One last thing.  My wife used to roll her eyes when I'd come through the door with new (to me) discs or they'd arrive in the mail.  She'd say, "Why are you still buying DVDs when you can stream almost anything!?"  Well, over the past few years, many streaming services have opted to insert commercials into their media, and I say, "That's why!"  Plus, there is no guarantee that a title that's available to stream today will be available tomorrow.  With a library of my own favorites, those titles are always available to me.  And, when well cared for, they will last more or less indefinitely.

OK, that's enough rambling about movies for now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

MARS ATTACKS! (1996)

MARS ATTACKS (1996) Rating - PG-13 - Rottentomatoes freshness score 57% (popcornmeter 53%), IMDB rating 6.4/10 Synopsis : A fleet of Martian...